Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bye, Bye Vicodin!


According to CNN, FDA advisors have voted to take Vicodin and Percocet off the market. Apparently, they have decided that the risk of overdose when you combine acetaminophen with narcotics is too great. Also, it can cause severe liver injury. The whole article can be found Here.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of functioning livers and being alive as much as the next person, but isn't it the responsibility of a doctor to appropriately prescribe amounts and times to take pills? And isn't it up to the user to be smart enough to not take too many pills? And if they want to commit suicide, aren't there other just as easy ways to do so? Vicodin has helped me through three bouts of back pain a few years ago, and if there is another pill that can be prescribed to me to substitute it, my alliance only extends to functionality. I don't care if it's Vicodin, or advil, or a generic chewable multi-vitamin, whatever eliminates an unbearable pain. I am just not convinced that pulling two pills off of the market can save everyone's liver. There would have to be a lot more pulled. And liquor stores closed. And water nationally purified. Is the FDA covering our asses, or theirs?

No comments: