Wednesday, April 29, 2009

American Idol Recap- Season 8


Last night's episode featured the Top Five! And the week's theme was "The Rat Pack." And since  there is no surviving rat pack member, who better to represent than.... Jamie Foxx? Don't get me wrong, I love Jamie Foxx. If it was Ray Charles week, then yay! If it was In Living Color Week, perfectamundo! But, Rat Pack? Whatever, I've moved on.

First up was Kris Allen, choosing "The Way You Look Tonight." He did well, he sounded very rat pack-ey. Randy said it was his best performance of the competition, and while I think this is a genre that suited him, I think he could have been stronger overall.

Second of the night was the last girl standing, Allison Iraheta. She sang "Someone To Watch Over Me," and I really believe that the song was written with her performing it in mind many moons ago. It's actually too bad that rat pack isn't a style now, because it seems to suit them all well. Side note: Her hair looked a lot better than it has throughout the whole season.

Matt Giraud sang "My Funny Valentine." Now, I have continued to be a fan, but he deserved to go home on the heels of that performance. It was pitchy and a little boring. When he belted his notes: Spectacular! But spectacular mixed with not great does not equal American Idol. I was a little excited when Randy said it was "pitchy," because that's what I said! I was a lot surprised when Simon said "Absolutely brilliant."

Danny Gokey was up fourth, with "Come Rain Or Come Shine." I love this song! I fell pretty hard for his rendition of it, as well. He was completely on point and the judges pointed out his newly found swagger, which never hurts!

And last of the evening was Adam Lambert with "Feeling Good." I never actually knew the name of this song, so I was pretty excited to hear it. The notes he can reach are basically in human, and he is a legit superstar by this point. This, however, was my least favorite performance of his in the whole show. Paula: "It's like watching the Olympics, and you are our Michael Phelps." So was last night drunk driving day, or bong hitting day?

No comments: