Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Snow Day In New York City


As a child, I used to rip open my copy of Highlights magazine, flip it to the back inside cover, and play "What's Wrong With This Picture." I still love all of those types of games, but sadly, either my skill has waned, or it climaxed at age five. Either way, when Julia sent me this video, I felt like a child again. Picking out stupidity and awkwardness in real life proved to be just as satisfactory as finding the hiding wrench in the tree trunk. You have to try for yourself!!


Some personal favorite finds:

  • Rob Matthews: "We're actually upstate, 'cuz we're above fourteenth street. I consider this upstate, because I live downtown." (You are an idiot. There are hundreds of streets in Manhattan alone. Fourteenth street hardly marks even a quarter mark, let alone a halfway point. And lose the joke, it's not amusing.) Same guy: "This part of the park was designed to look like the Adirondack's. So, I close my eyes and I feel like I am in the Adirondack's, for sure." (If you are closing your eyes, can't it look like Adirondack's anywhere? Why mention design if you also say you are closing your eyes? Example to you, Rob: "I like my pink shirt so much, so I close my eyes to feel the pink of my shirt." Make sense? I hope not.)
  • James Anthony: "I need the money. I got s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-hmmm- seven? Seven kids. I got seven kids." (Really? You don't know how many children you have? Let's hope all s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-hmmm- seven of them didn't inherit your ability to count.)  Same guy: "But you gotta do your job, ya know? Regardless, if you lose your job, or not, if you have a job, you gotta do your job." (Actually, sir, if you lose your job, you don't have to do your job anymore. Funny how that works.)
A quick shout out to the woman cross-country skiing on the sidewalks of Manhattan. You made me laugh.

Also, a sincere thanks to New York Times videos, for sharing with the world that New York City has so many different walks of life, that in your interviewing travels, you couldn't even bump into someone with some intelligence. Is some constructive criticism okay? Pick a focus. Your video started out with kids playing in the snow laughing and happy. And then you end up in a soup kitchen with sad stories and obvious statements, without even having snow as a common thread.

No comments: