Monday, April 14, 2008

Self-Fulfilling Prophecy


The power of suggestion is too strong a force for me to fight, I have long decided. The only reason I have never been to a psychic is not for fear of being ripped off, or fear of the supernatural. The thought that something may not happen unless it's suggested to me, and then I somehow act a certain way to bring such actions to reality scares the hell out of me. And I know the counter-argument: That maybe a psychic's intervention and personal actions leading a prophecy to come true is, in fact, exactly what fate meant for it to be.  But that argument is clearly too far fetched.

That's not to say that my flirtation with the idea of seeing a psychic won't one day lead into it actually happening. That is just my hesitation. And I can make my case in point on a smaller scale that makes me smile.

So, I was grabbing a bite to eat with my friend. I think it's fair to say we were both in equally pleasant moods.  Our waiter came over and squirted ketchup (NOT catsup) into little cardboard dishes. In mine, he drew a smiley face. In hers, a frowning face. "Cuz you're smiling" and "For your frown."  I grinned out of obligation and something else: uncontrolled reaction. And she sort of frowned. 

And all thanks to the prophetically controlling waiter. 

No comments: