Monday, December 7, 2009

How To: Carve A Turkey


So I was at my friend Ben's house this past weekend for what he has dubbed "Bensgiving." A day way too close to the actual Thanksgiving where friends can gather and have a less than traditional night of thanks. It's actually a great idea, so steal away, folks! More than a week's break from turkey would have been nice, but then the name might seem even more strange. Anyway, back to my point.. My entire life I have stood in awe as someone can use a carving knife, electronic or "real," and have that knife become an extension of their hand. It's probably as difficult for me to cut a clean piece of meat from a turkey as it would be for me to run 2 miles straight. (To put in perspective, it would be likening someone without shoes to climb Mount Everest.) Hard.

My way of carving a turkey is to pull pieces off manually. Because nothing works like a extention of my hand quite like my actual fingers. And this weekend, Ben did the same thing! I didn't tell him at the time, because I wanted to keep my excitement in proportion with the event and I didn't trust myself. After much thought, to not be alone in the world of neanderthal carving is definitely something to celebrate!

Leave it the the pro's, people! Here is Top Chef's Hosea Rosenberg teaching us all how to be civilized:


And here are some other pretty awesome kitchen tips: Whole Foods Market Holidays.

No comments: