Wednesday, May 20, 2009

American Idol Recap- Season 8


As Season 8 comes to a close, I find that I will be greatly missing Simon and Ryan squabbles, and Ryan Seacrest one-liners. Such as: "The Guy Next Door vs. The Guyliner." I kid. Although it was a pretty accurate line, I somehow don't see Kris Allen as being my neighbor, I will definitely be keeping my eyes completely wide open. Last night's episode featured the two singers dueling to out against each other with 3 songs each. The first song was a song pick by the performer of their favorite song already sang throughout the season. The second song was chosen by the show's creator, Simon Fuller, with the third song being a first single for the winner, co-written by Kara Diaguardi. 

I'm just going to run through Adam Lambert's songs of the night. His pick: "Mad World." I was pretty stoked, as this would have been the one I chose for him, but I thought that he sang it a lot better the first time he performed it. Either way, the notes he reaches are effortlessly inhuman and he deserves to be up on stage for the rest of his life. Simon Fuller's vote: "A Change Is Gonna Come." My first thought was definitely that Simon Fuller hated Adam, because why would you give him a bluesy song? But then as the song progressed as the scale got larger, it all made sense. Again, he was able to make a song his own, blow it out of the water, and not break a sweat. And the single: "No Boundaries," was his final performance. He sang the song well, a little shrill, but the song itself was terrible. Why does such an incredible show have to always end with such a bad, bad song?

Kris Allen's songs of the night: First up,  "Ain't No Sunshine," he played on the piano, and inside of every girl's heart. He out sang his previous "Ain't No Sunshine" performance by three miles, and it made me forget about the fact that I missed Mr. Danny Gokey. Thankfully, the camera man kept panning on him in the audience, so the would was able to be ripped open again and again. Thanks. Simon Fuller's pick for Kris was "What's Going On." I thought he was able to modernize it, make it his own, make it a song that I would turn up at full volume in my car and scream along with. But I can see Simon's comment being on target, as well, as it wasn't a big robust memorable performance, and on the last night to win people's hearts, that's not the best tactic. Kris's rendition of "No Boundaries" was better that Adam's, as I agree with the judges and it fit his voice a little better. But you can put make-up on a pig, it still rolls in crap all day.

All in all, there is no clear winner, and tonight will be a nail biting event. For me. 

The only good thing about "No Boundaries" is that it is an exact rip-off of a really excellent CD by the same title. This compilation album was created for the Kosovar refugees, released back in 1999, when the Kosovar refugees were the most terrifying things on our radar. Playlist:

1. Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
2. Baba [Live] - Alanis Morissette
3. The Ghost Of Tom Joad - Rage Against The Machine
4. War of Man [Live] - Neil Young
5. Freak on a Leash [Freakin' B Mix] - Korn
6. Psycho Man [Danny Saber Remix] - Black Sabbath
7. Come Down - Bush
8. Leather Jacket - Ben Folds Five
9. Take Me Away - Oasis
10. Mary - Sarah McLachlan 
11. Go - Indigo Girls
12. Used To Be Lucky - The Wallflowers
13. Wolf in Sheep's Clothing - Jamiroquai
14. Merman - Tori Amos
15. Black Paintings - Peter Gabriel
16. Soldier of Love (Lay Down Your Arms) - Pearl Jam

No comments: