Wednesday, May 6, 2009

American Idol Recap- Season 8


Last night was my long awaited Rock Night at American Idol, and they announced in the beginning of the show that for the first time, singers would be paired into duets at one point in the show. Slash was their mentor, which seemed logical. From Guns 'N Roses to Velvet Revolver to Idol. Right.

Adam Lambert gave the first performance of the night, but he sang it as if he were closing down the show. He chose "Whole Lotta Love," by Led Zeppelin, and can I just ask: Who picks Led Zeppelin? He obviously knew what I was doing, and while it wasn't entirely my "thang," it was definitely Paula's! Paula: "That was a whole lotta perfect!"

Second up was Allison Iraheta with Janis Joplin's "Cry Baby." When she wasn't belting out, I thought she sounded a little off, but so did Janis, so maybe I shouldn't have honed in on that. She sang her guts out, almost literally, and I think she deserves props for the guts to get on stage and do what she did. The judges were right, though. She needed to put any sort of spin on it and she didn't.

Then, it was time for the first duet of the night with Kris Allen and Danny Gokey. They chose "Renegade" by Styx, and I think it was a smart decision on their part. Their harmony literally melted my heart. Literally. I am dead. And from the grave: Who told them to hold up their mic stands in the air and tilt them "angrily?" Transparent and cheesy does not win. Simon announced that Danny was the better singer of the two, and Kris took is really poorly, and poor thing had to do his solo act next.

Kris Allen picked The Beatles' "Come Together." Wah wah wah. I love The Beatles, don't get me wrong, but apparently we was unconcerned with infusing a pulse back into me. Simon said "It was a bit like eating ice for lunch." And while I don't understand it completely, I agree.

Danny Gokey was next, and for me, his interpretation of "Dream On" was 99.998% on fire. His last couple of notes and that scream were a complete miss. He should never ever try to do that ever ever again. Like, if he was being mugged in a dark alley and needed help, he should still not use that sound.

Adam and Allison were the last duet of the night with "Slow Ride," and I think the judges reactions were proof enough for me that this gig is rigged. I thought they sounded good on their own, but every note together was not good. Opposite of Danny and Kris, who definitely kicked ass in their combined notes. 

No comments: