Wednesday, April 1, 2009

American Idol Recap- Season 8


Last night's episode of American Idol allowed the contestants to choose any song they wanted from the ITunes library, as long as it was a popular download. I would have loved to know what they "deemed" popular, especially after hearing a few of the picks. But very smart, American Idol. How can you increase the amount of ITunes downloads? Go to already proven ITunes downloaded best-sellers! It did make me a little sad that their mentor this week was an application, but hey, Fox is relevant, right?

First singer of the night was Anoop Desai, performing Usher's "Caught Up." His face he makes is almost sexual, but it really creeps me out. As if he was saying, "I'm trying to seduce you plus there's a bad smell in here." The backup singers killed the song for me, but most importantly, it was blah.

Megan Joy Corkrin, second up, decided on Bob Marley/Lauryn Hill's "Turn Your Lights Down Low." Really, Megan? Out of those two performers, you couldn't pick a better crowd pleaser? You should be eliminated on that, alone. She sounded flat. She is still likeable, but I am starting to doubt if her entire CD would be worth buying, instead of just ITunes downloading a single. Get it? Get it, ITunes?

Danny Gokey picked the Rascall Flatts' "What Hurts The Most." How can someone not love him? His voice is always on point, with this sweet vulnerability. His performance definitely reminded me that I was actually watching finalists perform.

Fourth up was Allison Iraheta with "Don't Speak" by No Doubt. I immediately thought: "This is exactly what she is meant to sing." And I was so right, if you could get past her clothing. The judges proceeded to murder her outfit, deservedly so.

Scott McIntyre was numero cinco. He took Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are." I laughed out loud in a millisecond. Why did he shout his second note out of nowhere?? Someone? He sounds dated, and you can hear him pushing out notes when he remembers to. Why would he rewrite Billy Joel? Scott: De doesn't need your help. You sure as all hell need his. I can't stand this for much longer. Constructively, the judges were right, this is exactly the song he should be singing. Except he changed the song, to be something nobody should be singing.

Matt Giraud performed "You Found Me" by The Fray. He looked better than ever, but he started a touch flat. I think the song was powerful, and he got stronger and better as the song progressed. I didn't think the song was popular, or recognizable enough. And I agree with the judges, he is more soulful than indie-rock. And he said he was trying to show the world he can do more than the soul singing. But professionals, and the voters, are telling him that no, he can't.

Lucky number seven? Lil Rounds chose to sing "Surrender" by Celine Dion. I didn't even know whose song she chose until I looked it up. I really think she started out flat. Theme of the night? She sounded whiny. She made me wince. She is no Melinda Dolittle.

Adam Lambert sang the daylights out of Wild Cherries' "Play That Funky Music." Making it contemporary was his goal, and I have to say, he is eerily great at making old anew. The chorus stayed the same, unfortunately because it did verge on cheesy that way, but maybe changing too much would have been strange. I feel like he is wildly ahead of everyone in every way, and he should be pulled from the competition and given his own Adam show, so I can watch more of him. And I guess also so other people have a shot at winning.

And closing the show was Kris Allen, singing "Ain't No Sunshine." Switching from guitar to piano, I would like to first say that it would take a lot for me to ever dislike this song, unless maybe Scott "deconstructed" it. I think it was a beautiful and modern rendition, and he was among my favorites of the night, if not my favorite. Also, his unhinged jaw seemed to be more in place.

No comments: