Thursday, March 26, 2009

American Idol Recap- Season 8


Motown records? Hello, heaven! I fear some of these psuedo-singers will cheese my favorites up... Smokey "Suction-Face" Robinson was their mentor for this week. (He apparently has written over 4,000 songs... which of course led me to ponder how many of them I know for the next few hours.)

First singer of the night was Matt Giraud with "Let's Get It On." Smokey was talking it up, I couldn't wait! And he was so on the money. He made it as fresh as it could be for being such a throwback. I liked seeing him away from the piano, too.

Kris Allen was second up, with "How Sweet It Is." Catchy, catchy. He modernized it and changed just enough. I kinda wish I was in the audience for this night... So far. His voice is so clean and refreshing.

Third person was Scott McIntyre, duh, choosing to be at the piano again. Bo-o-o-orrrring! "You Can't Hurry Love" was butchered by him. Worst performance to date. Smokey is too kind, and he barely praised him. "I have no negative comments" does NOT mean "I have positive comments." Damn, how can one song be so ruined? I bet the person most outraged is poor Alexis Grace after losing to this? I actually started to hate both female judges, because they're either liars or morons.

Megan Joy Corkrey sang "For Once In My Life." She is gorgeous. I liked the performance, but vocally, it fell a little flat and weak. It got a bit worse as it went on. Trainwreck? Yes. Better than Scott? Miles!

Anoop Desai was fifth of the night. Did anyone else notice that Smokey was way too nice? Constructive criticism can be constructive. He performed "Ooooo Baby, baby," and it was a bit too slow, but he sounded like the song was writted for him and melted sensually around his vocal chords, dripping slowly into his heart. In other words, it was good.

Sixth of the night was Michael Sarver with "Ain't Too Proud To Beg." He is so inconsequential at this point, I feel for him. Sarver said he would "church it up," and I think he'd do best doing it up, in church. The song was flat-ish and incredibly bizarre. At the end, he reminded me of my dad singing around our old apartment. And singing isn't my dad's thang.

Lil Rounds sang "Heatwave" and was really good. So surprising. Her look was too cute and spot on! She got a little flat, so not her best, which was a bit of a let down- especially in that genre, but still, overall, good.

Numero ocho, Adam Lambert singing "Tracks Of My Tears," unplugged. I loved his fifties look, and his consistant falsetto. I really love him. I'm so happy all the judges were floored.

Following the best performance of the night was Danny Gokey with "Get Ready." Shocked that he ignored Smokey's advice to sing his own echoes. I thought he was great, I wish he didn't dance in the back at one point. But he has got to be safe, he is Danny Gokey. And everyone loves him.

Allison Iraheta was last, tenth. Her voice is amazing, and she proved it yet again with "Poppa Was A Rolling Stone." How has she not been signed already?!?

No comments: