Wednesday, March 18, 2009

American Idol Recap- Season 8


This week was The Grand Ole Opry Week, with Randy Travis stepping in as mentor. Country week, thrilling. 

First performer of the night was Texas native Michael Sarver singing "Ain't Going Down (Til the Sun Comes Up)." He sounded right at home in this genre, and it was a fun song! But he didn't sound special or especially talented.

Allison Irahata was second, singing "Blame It On Your Heart." She sounds too rock for country, and I mean that as the highest compliment. Also: Hate that song!

Kris Allen, "To Make You Feel My Love," was third of the night. I loved the song and his voice! His sideways jaw when singing is cute- I don't care what other bloggers say! Simon said it's the first timehe thought he had a shot in this competition and I agreed completely!

Lil Rounds. Oh, Lil. Let me just share a pre-song interaction... Ryan Seacrest: "How much time do you and the contestants spend together between shows?" Lil Rounds: "We spend quite a few time together." Nope, its not a typo, just a sigh in my English speaking soul. I guess we can move on to her performance of "Independance Day," but I have to say, I think she just dropped to the bottom of my give a crap about list.  It was boring, she sounded shrill at times and a little on the average side. Also, while I am bashing her, every week, the female judges compliment her on her clothing choices. It is called balance and proportion, Paula. You don't really like her dress or her shirt, your eyes are just letting you know that when she has puffy sleeves and intricate chest pieces attached to her shirt, her ass looks smaller.

Adam Lambert chose to sing "Ring of Fire," except instead of copying Johnny Cash's rendtion, he found a Middle Eastern adaptation which was so unique and really worked! I love this kid! I'd buy that song! And he can reach the highest of notes! Randy Said he was like Nine Inch Nails doing a country song. Exactly! I love when the judges and I are having a similar hearing experience.

Scott McIntyre, fifth up, sang "Wild Angels." I thought it was a horrible song, horrible tempo, flat vocals. Shocker. Paula tried to sugar coat constructive criticism of switching things up a bit, to put it nicer than necessary, and he still looks shocked and hurt and broken.

Alexis Grace chose to sing "Jolene." That's what song I'd pick to do if I had to perform in country week! I much prefer the White Stripes version over Dolly Parton's, myself. I think she would have avoided the "needs to be edgier" critique if she had done that. She's got a power voice, but her high notes were pretty weak.

Lucky number seven: Danny Gokey. He chose "Jesus Take The Wheel." Oy, with that song title, Carrie Underwoods' songwriters! He was just on, I thought his jacket was a lot more hip-hop than country, and everything else was exactly what it needed to be.

Anoop Desai sang "Always On My Mind," and he sounded good, but it was so boring. I forgot it as he was singing.

Megan Joy Corkrey took the stage, and my first thoughts were that the dress and hair were exactly perfect for her. Vocally, during "Walking After Midnight," she seemed nervous and a bit out of place. I think she is just a little nervous and out of place in general, and I loved her song!

Matt Giraud was last up, and he is just so consistant! His voice is ready for anything! I love his vulnerability more than could be explained. He performed "So Small," and I thought he did a really BIG job. You know, not small.

No comments: