Thursday, March 12, 2009

American Idol Recap- Season 8


This week was the real Top 13! And it was all about the Michael Jackson, sans sleepovers with seven year old boys.

Lil Rounds was up first, singing "The Way You Make Me Feel." It was a boring and dated song. She was good, nothing I would purchase... ever. Randy said she made the song new again, and I
couldn't disagree more!

Second was Scott McIntyre singing "Keep The Faith," and I am losing the faith in the ability of the judges to remain impartial. When he went into high notes, he was so weak. He is flat and slightly off either in tone or key, and I'm sorry, I don't get it. Question: Do I think it would be great to give a visually impaired person the title of America Idol? Answer: Only if they deserve it.

Danny Gokey singing "PYT" was third, and he is my favorite officially. Come on, listen to that voice! Simon insulted the dancing, whatever. It was soulful!

Fourth up was Michael Sarver, who picked "You Are Not Alone." started out flat. But I do love that song. Like, um, a lot! It got better and better. He had some note trouble searching for notes. I just don't see him as any competition.

Miniature Gabrielle Union, I mean, Jasmine Murraywas number five. Her family clip makes me like her a lot more, but when she sang "I'll Be There," I thought she was pitchy and shrill almost. Like Marley head-tilting pitchy.

Chris Allen was sixth, and in his into-clip, they announced he was a newlywed, and my first thought was "Uh-Oh! There goes the crushing-on-his-face votes!" He sang "Remember The Time," and I liked him more tonight than ever before, with his cocky half smile while he sang. Vocally, not so impressive, but a solid performance. Simon read my mind when he said, "I'm not sure I would have brought the wife out so early." Ditto!

Allison Iraheta sang "Give In To Me." To me, her voice wins my most likely to sing along with award. Not the best song choice, because all the notes lived on a similar area, but she is insanely talented! 

Anoop Desai, with the dumbest song choice of the night, chose "Beat It." First thought: Why?! He had an interesting tone. He sang more than I thought he'd be able to, but the judges bashed his song choice, and rightfully so.

Jorge Nunez sang "Never Can Say Goodbye." He looks so stupid "performing." Angry, snakelike, bizarre... He sounds like a seasoned professional singer, though, but he is strangely intense and a little scary.

Megan Joy Corkrey picked "Rockin' Robin." (This would be the second worst song choice of the night.) Cheeeeeesy song, but she sang it out. Strangely, I think she ended up doing a really great job with it. She sounded amazing. Simon killed her!

Adam Lambert was eleventh with "Black And White." I kept thinking, is anyone gonna pick this song already. He is so amazing! Truly, an entertainer all the way. He is among my favorites.

Matt Giraud sang "Natural." While sitting at his piano, he is great. His voice reminded me of a Justin Timberlake meeting Jason Mraz on a picturesque beach in Hawaii and making beautiful pianists by the water.

Alexis Grace was last of the night, performing "Dirty Diana." I think the judges like her more than they should, first of all. I really liked the whole performance except for the beginning. I appreciated that Simon mentioned she probably was more proud of herself than she should be.

My top five favorites in barely a particular order:
Danny Gokey, Adam Lambert, Matt Giraud, Allison Iraheta, and Megan Joy Corkrey.

No comments: