Thursday, February 26, 2009

American Idol Recap- Season 8


I have decided that I really dislike this year's new American Idol format, or having the judges pick the top 36, and then have them perform in groups of 12 for us to vote the top make, female, and next highest vote-winner into the real top 12. It is not fair for one huge reason: Who is picking these groups of 12? Last week, none of the girls could hold a candle to three ladies from last night: Allison Iraheta, Megan Joy Corkrey, and Mishavonna Henson. And I don't know why I am outraged, but there I was last night, shaking my fist at the screen...

The first "singer" of the night was Jasmine Murray, a 17 year old from Columbus, MS. She sang "Love song" by Sara Bareillis, which I thought was indulgent, and just not pretty sounding. The judges agreed. She probably kicks ass at amateur karaoke night, though!

Second was Matt Giraud, a 23 year old from Kalamazoo, Michigan. He played "On My Mind" on keyboard during Hollywood week and I loved him instantly. Last night, he sang "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay, and I thought he did an amazing job! Could fill in for Chris Martin anytime! Judges didn't like it- I was surprised! I agreed that he sounds even better more soulful and bluesy, but he still was so great.

Jeanine Vailes was third. And for a 28 year old from Washington, DC, I thought she would be more experienced. She performed "This Love" by Maroon 5, and she lost me the moment she announced they were one of her favorite bands. I didn't like how she slowed the songs' tempo- I didn't like her chorus- she sang mostly too deep. She sounds a little better higher up in octave. Judge: "The best part was when it was over." I agree. Her begging for votes would have done her in if she wasn't already finished.

Nick Mitchell, aka Norman Gentle was the fourth to "perform." This twenty-seven year old from Brookfield,CT has been the joker this season. He is hilarious, his alter-ego could have his own off-Broadway show. He does not deserve to be on American Idol. While singing "You're Gonna Love Me" he was soooo whiny! Nasally, and just not good enough. I am disappointed they have him in the top 36. But kudos to Norman for the "Doogie!" mid-song when he walked passed Neil Patrick Harris.

Allison Iraheta, lucky number five, from Los Angeles, CA and only sixteen years old. When she announced, "I'm a junior at high school," I'm not going to lie... I thought "America, maybe she shouldn't be taken away from her studies." She then proved me SO wrong! She sang "Alone" by Heart, and she killed it! I loved her, she sounds so much older, I was increasingly blown away.

Kris Allen, 23, from Arkansas sang "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson. He started out flat, ended up being good, but reminded me of elevator music. He belted out notes like a seasoned pro and was cute, but I think he will be forgettable, as Simon always puts it.

Megan Joy Corkrey, also 23, from Sandy, Utah was seventh of the night. She sang "Put Your Record On" by Corrinne Bailey Ray, and it was an awesome song choice for her. I thought she had an off night and she was still great! I want to see her get a record deal, because I want to buy her records.

Matt Breitzke is a twenty eight year old welder from Oklahoma. He is big and bald, and ummm, big and bald. He sang Tonic's "If You Could Only See." and I thought it was a perfect song choice for him (even though the judges did not.) He seems like a sweet guy, but he had no personality, and his cold dead stare made me not want to watch my TV.

Jesse Langseth is 26 from Minneapolis, MN. While singing "Bette Davis Eyes" and, I thought that she needs to enunciate a whole lot more. She had nice tone, but she talks and "mmmhmm's" way too much during judgement, and her competition blew her away, even though she might never be able to grasp that.

I was looking forward to seeing Kai Kalama, 27, from San Clemento, CA. He chose "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted." Please check out the very start of this video where he makes the ultimate stinkface! I thought he sounded good. He looks immensely interesting, but wasn't immensely good.

Eleventh up was Mishavonna Henson from Irvine, CA at only 18 years old! She sang "Drops of Jupiter" and the judges said she seemed too serious and mature. If you were singing in front of millions of people for the very first time for all of your hopes and dreams, wouldn't you be serious, too? I thought her sound was so clean and crisp, and she by far out-sang most of the females. Choosing is too hard!

Adam Lambert, last of the night, sang "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones. Originally from Hollywood, CA and 27, Adam was very theatrical, but vocally sexually ambiguous, which I think could hurt in a popularity contest. But, I wanna be his friend 100%! Randy said he is a combination of "Stephen Tyler, Fall Out Boy, Robert Pattinson from Twilight, and My Chemical Romance." Of course, I disagree. Just because he has longish hair doe not mean he is the most charismatic and superb being of this country's recent history. Okay, Randy?

No comments: