Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ugly Sweater Parties


Do you know how when you see a new car you like and had never noticed before it suddenly appears as every fifth car driving on the road? That has been similar to my experience with "ugly sweaters." Now, maybe it's because my family never celebrated Christmas (seemingly the hugest ugly sweater offender), or because my grandmother is always very style conscious, but the phenomenon eluded me for most of my life. By the time I finally realized that people actually wore these gaudy, over-stimulating, excessively themed sweaters, I could hardly poke fun, because the people wearing them often looked like this.

As I became more aware of such fashion atrocities, I noticed more than sewn on reindeer and bright colors. There are pom poms, glitter, ribbon, metallics, 3-D everything, playing music, flashing lights, attachments all over.... The list goes on and on, and I got to a point where I don't care who is wearing them, just seeing one makes me want to rush over to that person, check their label, and put a call in to the manufacturer just to see how demented they really are. Or the designer! "What do you do for a living?" "Er, flip burgers at Wendy's, thank you very much!"

But these sweaters now serve a real purpose: Ugly Sweater Parties!!!! And White People obviously seem to really like them. Here are pics from the ugly sweater party I attended this year:

A little Brady Bunch family:

A little Gene Simmon's Family Jewels:

No comments: