Thursday, January 15, 2009

Reactions


This week is all about reactions. How I will react in a new environment. How the dogs will react in a new space. How people will react to all of the above. I am fine. The transition has been much like drinking from a faucet your whole life. Then needing to pump your own well water filled with grime and disease for a few years, slurping it up with your hands. And now, drinking a cold glass of Brita. I'd say the transition would be seamless for just about everyone, save trolls under bridges, and even then...

The dogs have adjusted faster than I would have thought. I'm reading "Merle's Door" right now, and it's chock full of fascinating dog behavior studies. Dogs living in the now, dogs not holding on to fears once that fear has been dispelled even once. It reads like the best, most heartfelt textbook I've ever voluntarily read. And it's not that I doubted the dogs would love the new the digs, but I thought that they would always be itching to get back "home." I realize now that they have been just as happy to escape as I have.

Last night was my first chance to have non-family members over, and I was as excited for them to see it, as I was to get back into it. Marley was her usual menacing and scheming self- hunting for fallen crumbs and open mouths. And Mojo was "normal," shaking and rolling and running and passing out.

Courtesy of Julia:

Inmate #364
Name: Marley Grace
Imprisoned for: Grand theft auto, stinky butt


No comments: