Monday, September 8, 2008

Tell No One...


Or tell everyone- Mirrors was the single scariest movie I have ever attempted to watch. 

I thought back to my scariest movie experiences. I remember going out on a Friday night with my friend Tracey and a parent of choice, driving to Blockbuster, and renting "Pet Cemetary." We would watch it to the point where the neglected ill sister is screaming out her younger sister's name in pain, and the camera pans to this disfigured curling spine, and STOP! We must have stopped the movie screaming and clinging to one another at least ten times. (And I think it could even be more.) I don't remember what finally provoked us to get past that halfway mark and see it through, but we did. And that had been my top scariest movie of all time, until now.

I sat in the theater with my friend and my heart, as it was beating so far out of my chest, I considered it another entity. And I lasted maybe forty minutes of watching, and gasping, and jumping in unison with every other poor sucker who spent $10.75. After that, I pinched my eyes closed and held my ears, because for the next fifteen minutes, there were the most brutal screams I never wanted to hear. And then, I left. Yup, I left at about the five dollar mark, in front of a theater packed with people undoubtedly staring at me as I stood and jogged out. And I walked straight to my car, and looked in my rear-view mirror, and was thrilled that I didn't stay to watch any more. 

Because if I am too scared to look in the mirror, everyone else should be equally scared of how my make-up will turn out. 

**I followed up my weekend movie experience by seeing Ne le dis à personne (Tell No One), which, for a French movie that wasn't entirely a gushy love story, was very good. And I wanted to share with everyone a huge, never been disclosed piece of valuable information:
Dustin Hoffman must have a secret French brother, who starred in this movie, François Cluzet. Phew, it feels good to unlock life's secret mysteries! There's no denying this, Dustin.

No comments: