Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Voice Me Over


You know how aspiring actors shrug the shoulders and whisper into the ground that they're currently doing voiceover work? Yeah, okay, I don't really either. But I'm pretty sure it happens. Well, voice over artists, I am your number one fan! Hi.

There are some "entertainment connoissuers (movie geeks) that will spend their twenties arguing over the fact that the movies' hidden messages get trampled on and then spat in your face when a narrarator has to dumb down plots for the viewer. (Also, this scenario, I may have just created once again.)

But all the greats have used voice overs... The Wonder Years, so magical that nobody seemed to care that inside the mind of an eight year old Fred Savage spoke a middle aged Daniel Stern. Sex and the City- this whirlwind of Manolo's and Cosmo's and middle aged women whoring themselves around the greatest city in the world.  Do you know why it was successful? Because Sarah Jessica Parker spent more time speaking and less time acting. (That was mean and uncalled for and I'm really just green with jealousy.) A Bronx Tale. Sleepers. The Sandlot

Last night, I joined the ranks of every other twenty something female on this continent, and I finally saw Sex and the City: The Movie. Without the brilliant voice-over work, I would have been able to follow the movie, would have even still enjoyed the movie, but I would have missed out on the entire experience. I laughed, I cried, and best of all, I had the entire story spoken to me so that I could "feel" the movie, rather than "think" about it. Loved it.

No comments: