Monday, May 12, 2008

Is Waiting Worth It?

I am not the shining example of patience, I will fully admit it. Once something creeps into my brain, it takes over like an obsessive cancer and literally seeps into every thought until it is purchased/accomplished/acted out. It's not my proudest attribute, but I fail to compartmentalize my brain... so, everything gets melded into one big ball of life. And a new idea is the dominant color every time. 

As everyone knows, technology is always changing. As you are waiting for your newest and best to be delivered, it's being disregarded and tossed into clearance bins. 1 gig turns into 4 and 4 pounds become one. I used to try and wait out my purchases, just three more weeks and then I should finally buy that camera. Just one more year, and then that Ipod will be able to hold 800,000 songs and sing me lullabies out loud while I fall asleep. Wait seven months and your exact car will be more fuel efficient, and can track where you and each member of your family are at all hours of the day. It's incredible, really. 

When I was patiently waiting to buy my camera, this was a common example conversation:

Check out girl: "Paper or plastic?"
Me: (in my head) "My camera would be so awesome right now. Do you see the way the light is shining on that window? I want my camera, I want to..."
Check out girl: "Excuse me?"
Me: "Either is fine. I'm getting a camera. Thanks. Have a great day."

So, my public plea:  When I do finally buy something, please don't let me know it's been immediately outdated, over-performed, and under-valued.  Today, as I was setting up my brand new phone that I have needed for far too long, someone sends me this link.

Oh, the pain. 

No comments: