Thursday, May 15, 2008

Chiropractically Speaking...





















As most people in my life now, I have been experiencing painful back episodes lately. Technically, my back has been out of commission four times in the past two years. Not too bad, right? Well, on closer inspection, my back has been out three times in the past five months, so that starts to add up. I've tried back strengthening exercises, specific daily stretches, physical therapy, and complete avoidance of lifting anything heavier than a light bowling ball. Still, I found myself practically incapacitated, and in excruciating pain, and I cannot deal. Finally, I listened to my mother, grandmother, aunt, and great-aunt and see this "miracle worker" of a chiropractor. (Maybe wondering where I inherited back problems can come to a halt now.)

His office was a walk-up, and anyone who has had bac back pain knows stairs may not be the best route. His office was small and clean, but noticeably without windows. And instead of paying for good lighting to compensate, there were cut-outs in each room, in the dropped ceiling panels of course. And inside those cut-outs? Faux plastic clouds. Those sky-lights sure had me fooled. As I wait in the six person waiting room, with nobody else around, I have reservations? Can I trust a man with my sensitive and inflamed spine who actually thinks his "sky lights" are okay?

In his office, he was polite and professional and then the pain started. He manipulated my spine so minutely, and caused so much pain, I would have left if it didn't feel like the whole bottom of my back was crazy glued to the adjustment table. (Yay for back spasms!) As I pathetically flipped sides so that my face was planted in between sheets of tissue paper facing the ground, he placed his open palm against my thigh and pushed his thumb into the flesh of my butt. Hello! He lingered there for an awkward few minutes. I have gone to chiropractor's before, so this was new and alarming. And as he moved his hand away, I breathed a sigh of relief only to feel one of his hands on either side of my hips. He jerked my jeans and underwear off of me and pulled them down to the top of my thighs. He squirted on the "blue-goo" and rubbed an ultra-sound machine all over my butt and lower back for a few minutes. That was followed by him delicately scraping the blue-goo off of me for at least two minutes and then wiping me off.

The rest of my night was followed by worsening pains, and a palpable remorse. Then I woke up this morning hugely better than I was yesterday.

Is it better to be fully respected or fully recovered?........

I made a second appointment for tomorrow.


No comments: