Friday, April 4, 2008

Playing Catch-Up

I hung out with an old friend last week. You know, the kind who you end up speaking to so infrequently that all your conversations seem to start with, "What happened to that guy?" and "Hey, how'd that thing end up playing out?" Where your conversations merely highlight the major events. Where intricacies and emotion and those lovely day-to-day tidbits that interest and excite fall through the cracks of too much time to cover. These niceties especially hold true with this one particular friend. She is my kin, thinking alike, managing to come together when it really matters, and always somehow experiencing similar life lessons simultaneously. 

I learned of a healthy man who had been diagnosed of pancreatic cancer, and who passed away 8 days after his initial diagnosis. 
And my night stopped.
I vow to celebrate life in all its' mystifying reality. And more importantly, I will try again tomorrow.




"Old Friends" by the great Paul Simon and visionary Art Garfunkle pops into my head every time I see her. 

No comments: